Matt Holmes | HBA Board of Directors
”The HBA helps protect and preserve an industry that is a key indicator on how the economy performs as a whole.
For those who may not know, describe your business and expertise.
- Holmes Building Materials is a full service lumberyard and building material supplier in the Greater Baton Rouge market.
How long have you been an HBA member and why did you choose to become one?
- I honestly do not know when we joined (25 years ago). The HBA is a great organization to be involved with from a community involvement standpoint as well as providing networking possibilities.
Why is HBA important to you?
- The HBA helps protect and preserve an industry that is a key indicator on how the economy performs as a whole.
What is your favorite memory while being involved in the HBA?
- The induction ceremony where I was chosen to be on the board of directors.
What is one of the biggest accomplishments of your business thus far?
- Moving to the Airline Hwy store 2 years ago was a game changer for us. That facility has allowed us to operate in an entirely different way than in the past.
Describe your community involvement?
- We choose to be the most involved in programs that focus on children and the elderly. These programs include St. Jude’s Dream Home, The Raven House, Adult Literacy Association, Habitat for Humanity, Capital Area CASA Association, as well as others including the Home Builders Foundation.
What are some steps you’ve taken in your business to improve the homebuilding industry?
- Providing education to builders is a big one for us. We have multiple opportunities for builders to receive CEU hours throughout the year.
What’s your strategy to ensure continued growth of Holmes Building Materials?
- Service says it all. We try very hard to provide great service to our customers on a daily basis. When you combined that with a knowledgeable and aggressive sales staff, I think you have a recipe for growth.
What is a leadership skill you’ve learned the hard way?
- Communication. I have had my moments of greatness in this category as well as many challenges.
What’s something about your job that might surprise people?
- How big our Team is. We have 155 employees.